It took way longer than expected, but the bathroom art project is finally done! [Which means the bathroom is finally DONE!] Inspired by a post on Apartment Therapy last fall, we put together a little project constructed of “on site”, post-consumer recycled content.
First we waited several weeks until we had used, collected enough material. Then we scored the TP rolls and cut them into sections of varying widths.
We then sprayed all the pieces with a low-odor clear matte spray to protect the cardboard from any moisture laden air. Because we thought the bathroom needed a little mustard yellow, we painted the inside faces of a few.
Next we carefully arranged and re-arranged the pieces on our dining room table before gluing them together. [This is part of the reason the project took so long. Art was sharing a space with eating and most of the time eating won.] We also thought the composition would be a nice complement to our leafy shower curtain pattern.
The whole assembly is fairly light weight and is held on the wall by a series of pins. We opted to hold it off the wall a bit to create more interesting shadows.
And here is the straight-on view. This project cost about $8 (one small tube of acrylic paint, two cans of clear finish, and let’s just say the cardboard was “free”). We love that it is somewhat raw, a little delicate, and definitely edging on playful.